I arrived in Amsterdam last Friday, and of course, my phone that I bought for Europe doesn't work. Of course, me being me, I also didn't have the phone number of the person I needed to reach to get my keys....that person was supposed to call me. Well, with a broken phone, I began walking cluelessly around Rotterdam Center (aka downtown Rotterdam) with two suitcases, a backpack, and a large totebag (yeah i don't know how I survived or didn't get mugged either). By the way, to be clear, I do have a working phone now and you can reach me by any of those many numbers I gave you.
Anyways, so lucky me, a stranger, who looked friendly enough, offered to help me with my suitcases and find the internet slash get to my keys. Don't worry, I only agreed b/c she was a female in her early thirties. Turns out, she is the nicest person in the entire world, a dutch teacher to foreigners so she spoke fluent english...told me about the movie "Pay it Forward" and helped me get internet and reach the person with my keys.
I must have some good karma b/c the person who had my keys is a really nice guy who helped me find my way around for the next couple of days. I'm also convinced he has a crush on me, but I'll leave that for another story.
I have dutch class five days a week for five hours each day...yeah, rough I know!
I went to Amsterdam on Saturday and almost got run over by a bus...not even kidding, it was like several inches from my face.
I got a bike and ran into a pole because I hadn't ridden a bike since I was less than 10 yrs old.
Oh, and remember random stranger who helped me...yeah she invited to to her house for dinner with her and her family...and I went (because she seemed nice enough, I know, I trust easily)...so I had a homemade real dutch meal. (although they usually never cook dutch food b/c they don't like it).
Finally, my room/roommate are both amazing. (this is a hint for you to come visit me!) My roommate is from Curacao, very very sweet, silly and ditzy. I think I got super lucky!
Attached are a few random pics...click on them to make the pictures bigger.





You are retarded on so many levels, my friend. But I am glad you are safe and sound. Sorry your phone doesn't work! I was going to call you today but alas that is out the window. Talk to you soon!
ReplyDeletediepy... you would run into a pole and get hit by a bus...
ReplyDeleteI wanna go visit... i think maybe i'll just try VN this summer instead...
semester's going ok... my cadaver is nice and slimmer than most...miss you fatty.
haha, I have so many stories...I wish y'all could be here.
ReplyDeleteAnd correction, i have a working phone now!! i have several different numbers...call me on the 251-number and I'll pick up if i'm on skype...otherwise, you'll get forwarded to my voicemail.
miss and love you all!
Where is the picture of you smoking a funny cigarette in Amsterdam? Hahaha, just joking. I'm glad you're having a good time. Be safe.
ReplyDeleteLep
thanks for the ride down memory lane. that amsterdam sign was 2 blocks from my old house.
ReplyDelete