Monday, March 2, 2009

Rainy and Cold in Praha

So after Berlin, I spent about two days in Prague. Hannah took me to Prague Castle and through Malestrana (Old Town) or something along those lines. We walked around the city and wandered into the town square which houses the Old Town Hall that has the famous astronomical clock (which apparently strikes at every hour, but is really not that exciting so I didn't take the time to watch). Prague is known for its Bohemian glass but I knew I wouldn't be able to carry it home without it breaking, so I didn't buy any. We saw the Peeing Man statue, which is a graphic fountain. We also walked across Charles Bridge, which was my favorite thing to do while I was there. It's a bridge with religious statues going down it. Here's a good picture of Charles Bridge with part of Prague in the background.

Here I also touched the St. Stephen (the Czechs love this man, statues of him EVERYWHERE!) statue for good luck!

We saw the infant of Prague, a baby Jesus doll that sits inside the Church of Our Lady Victorious. Found from Wiki: One day, while praying before the statue, Father Cyrillus heard a voice say, "Have pity on me, and I will have pity on you. Give me my hands, and I will give you peace. The more you honor me, the more I will bless you." We also went to the John Lennon wall, where John Lennon once wrote peace and now there is writing that usually relates to John Lennon all over the wall. We also saw the Dancing House building by famed architect Frank Gehry and a million and one other churches (yes, there are just that many churches in Prague). Funny thing is, you would think the Czechs are religious with all of the religious statues and churches at literally every corner, but surprise! according to Hannah, the Czechs are not religious at all (I guess this makes sense seeing as how they used to be Communist). We also went to Charles University which is the where Vysehrad - another beautiful Church/Castle building is. There, I walked through the National Cemetery and got to see more pretty views of Prague.

So I'll end this blog with some things I enjoyed about Prague:

1. Cheap cheap food (the cost of living in Prague is relatively low compared to the Netherlands).
2. Beautiful views of the city, EVERYWHERE!
3. Catholic Churches, everywhere
4. Metros and Trams where you technically don't even need a ticket (Hannah and I were too lazy to walk to the metro to buy me a ticket, shhh! don't tell the Czechs!)

Before I leave you, here's some creepy art from a famous artist in Prague.


I went to Antwerp this past weekend, I'll write about it soon.

1 comment: