Thursday, February 5, 2009

A place where I can understand, well, kind of....

Picking up where I left off, it's been a rather insane past week.

Last Thursday, right after class ended around 4p.m., I took two trains, a bus, and then a plane to London airport only to take yet another train to get into the city of London. After finally arriving, I met up with Lauren (a friend from Penn).
I dragged Lauren all around London and did the usual touristy things. We took the usual "phone booth" pictures and we went to Covent Garden and witnessed several magic shows and ate the sweetest cupcake I had ever had! Afterwards, we walked to Trafalgar Square where I successfully climbed (read a stranger pulled me up) onto a lion statue.

Here's the fantastic picture of me actually on the lion.
So aside from statue climbing, we went to see Big Ben/Parliament and of course Westminster Abbey, where I took this awesome photo without cars even though the street was insanely busy! Of course we also went to Buckingham Palace and took a picture with one of those no fun guards. We went to Notting Hill and saw the travel bookshop (YES, like the movie!). We walked through Portobello Market (with the best dessert shop ever, Hummingbird Bakery!) and picked up fresh food to cook later that night. We even saw some dogs driving a car, yes right there in the market. haha Yes, awesome, I know!

On Sunday, we went to East London and ate some fantastic Indian food (yes, I think London probably has better Indian food than India!). We went to the bar where Jack the Ripper met all of his victims; it's still a bustling bar regardless of that fact! We went to another market and then it started snowing in London. I happened to be in London for the worst snowstorm it has had in 18 years! We had a snowball fight and made a miniature snowman. Also, despite the snow, Lauren and I still schlepped around the city and went to the British National Museum. That was the last fun thing I did because I ended up having to spend the night in the London Stansted Airport. It was disgusting, but due to the snow, a lot of busses/trains/planes were delayed or canceled. I wanted to make sure I was there in time for my 7a.m. flight out so I could make it to my Tuesday class, so spending the night in the airport was my solution.

To end my post, I arrived back in Rotterdam in time for a nice shower and my Tuesday class. And here I am, on a Thursday night, resting up instead of going out and finally realizing that I actually do have classes and an abundance of homework to do.

Cheers!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! that is quite a trip you've made! I need to do the same here in L.A. Anyways, mom told me you might be interning in Vietnam for Coca-Cola this summer. If so, I think we could do a fundraiser for Ba Chin.

    Lop

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude.. I LOVE your boots... like your pictures...wish i was in europe... can't wait til Vietnam this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look great and am glad to hear you are having a good time. I am glad that you where in London for the historical snow storm. It was on television here and every one looked so happy. i am sure it was good to see all in that happy, frivolous light.

    ReplyDelete